A preposition that means union

Home/Blog Forums Original Meanings in the Greek and Hebrew Texts A preposition that means union

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      James
      Keymaster

The most common preposition in the Greek New Testament Epistles is ἐν (transliterated en), which you will see interpreted as “in” “by” “with” “at” and maybe other ways. But, the root meaning of “en” is “within” or “inside.” This may not seem significant to some, but since the theme of the New Testament is union (oneness) with Christ, how you translate this word can make a big difference in your understanding. Almost since I began studying Greek I have used “within” as the definition of “en.”

Here’s an example that illustrates why I believe this is important. “To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory” (Colossian 1:27-KJV). In this verse, the Apostle Paul is telling us the wonder of our relationship with Christ. It is Christ living His life in us. So, interpreting the mystery as Christ being in us, is okay, but weak. I used to slide over this preposition without grasping what Paul was telling us. So, Christ is living in me. That’s great. But, when I replaced “in” with “within” my ears perked up. What did I just say? Christ is in me but He’s also with me. Suddenly I sensed union. Christ is in me and with me –  within. Now Jesus was getting very personal with me. This was a quantum leap forward.

Jesus is not just tagging along watching me live but is with me through everything. He’s participating in my life. He’s with me, He’s for me, He’s actively participating inside me, within my body. He’s filling my life. I’m like a sponge filled with water. Just touch a soaked sponge and your finger will be wet. At first glance you may not know I’m full of Christ, but it doesn’t matter. As you touch me you will be touching Christ. If you want to see Christ in me, just watch when I feel pressure. Jesus will seep out of my very pores, just like water out of a sponge that is squeezed.

Most of the time when you see the word “in” in the New Testament, it is probably translated from “en (ἐν).” You can be sure by checking an interlinear translation. Ponder the verse using “within” and you will likely find your understanding will increase.

Comments? Questions?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by James.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by James.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar