2 Corinthians 1:20

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      James
      Keymaster

Normally, literal translations of any language into another language don’t make much sense, so they require interpretation for the reader. Thus, all translations of the original Greek Bible that you see today are really interpretations of someone’s translation.

But, a literal translation of 2 Corinthians 1:20 does make sense to me, yet I have never seen a commercial interpretation that is literal. Though every commercial interpretation I have read has been a true statement, I have never read one that says what the Greek says. And oh, what a joy is the Greek.

The King James interpretations is: “For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.”

* The NASB interpretation is: “For as many as are the promises of God, in Him they are yes; therefore also through Him is our Amen to the glory of God through us.”

My literal translation is: “For as many as are God’s announcements, within Him (Christ) is the yes and therefore by means of Him the Amen by the God towards glory, by means of us.”

My interpretation is, “Regarding all of God’s announcements to mankind, Jesus is mankind’s “YES,” and therefore by means of His “YES” God says, “AMEN”! To God’s glory, we say “Yes” and “Amen,” also.”

The original Greek is not saying that within Jesus is the Yes and Amen but that, as a result of Jesus’ “Yes” for mankind, God says, “AMEN.” (“So be it”) We follow God’s “YES” and “AMEN” with our own “Yes” and “Amen,” which is to God’s glory. He is glorified when His children confess agreement with Him even in the face of our sufferings. Because God is love He is waiting for our agreement with Him. He is waiting for us to say, “Yes, I agree that this is true about me, too,” before He is able to cause us to realize our reality in Christ. (God never forces us to realize anything. All realizations from God are free gifts (grace), which Paul says we must take. He never forces us to believe or agree with Him.) We agree with God by freely saying what He says. It is our agreeing with Him that is His glory and which tells Him He is free to make what is real to Him real to us. 

*  “Scripture quotations taken from the New American Standard Bible®(NASB), Copyright © 1960, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1995 by The Lockman Foundation.  Used by permission. http://www.Lockman.org

• This topic was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by James.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by James.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar